May 12, 2013

Visiting the newly re-opened Breakfast at Antonio's

It's great to have you back! but...


With my sister still in town for just a couple more days, we grabbed the opportunity to make a quick Tagaytay getaway and check out the newly re-opened Breakfast at Antonio's.

My sisters and I always had a thing for breakfast/brunch food with Eggs Benedict being our go-to comfort food as you might have noticed by now. That's why when we were younger, we never really minded when our parents would wake us up bright and early on a Saturday morning, just as long as it was because they were going to bring us to Tagaytay for breakfast.

With our old favorites being the hot chocolate, the roesti, and of course the waffle, I was really excited for our visit to Breakfast at Antonio's because I wanted to see if it was still the same place that we loved.
 

 Hot Chocolate

Made with melted Swiss chocolate, the hot chocolate was still the same, good, thick hot chocolate that I remember it to be and made even more delicious by the addition of homemade marshmallow placed on top. Definitely beats out a packet of Swiss Miss.






 Time for Roesti!

A Swiss delicacy consisting mainly of potatoes which is traditionally grated roughly and then formed together into a patty. The potato patty is then fried until golden brown and crispy. Kinda like a big hash brown.

I was told that it Roesti is actually a breakfast staple for farmers in Switzerland. Makes me want to visit one of those farms!






 Chorizo Roesti






 Potato Roesti topped with Chorizo sauteed with bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions. Followed by a sunny-side-up egg and then finished of with Swiss cheese.

Breakfast at Antonio's version of roesti is a little different from the usual Swiss because instead of being roughly grater, the potatoes are sliced paper thin which actually gives you a clearer taste of the potato. 

I did like my order because the strong flavors of the Chorizo and the bell papers work well as a contrast to the rich, starchy flavors of the potato. I would've preferred my egg to be a little bit more runny though..






 
 Banana Pecan Waffle with a Caramel Drizzle

I was actually expecting the thick, cake-y, Belgian-like waffle that we used to order but Breakfast at Antonio's now changed their waffle into a thinner and crispier version. The dish itself is still good especially the caramel drizzle, but I guess I was just expecting something different.





Now for the but...

So when we arrived, we were surprised that the establishment was filled with these signs. I was thinking maybe it was a precaution towards cranky guests who are not morning people haha! But after our visit I understood what this sign was for because despite the food still being excellent, the service was simply a let down. Although most of the servers were quite jolly (big on the quite!), the service was unbelievable slow especially on a day when the restaurant was not even filled. 

First, our food took some times to be served which at first we were okay with. But when an additional order of Banana Pecan waffle took about 30 minutes, well that wait was a bit too long for waffles! 

Second, orders got lost in translation which I kinda expected because about three different servers took our order (we were surprised because as we took turns saying our order, when we looked up, it was a different server taking our order). This resulted to an order not being taken and the breads of the dishes being mixed up as well as special-order notes such as eggs being cooked well-done were disregarded.

Third, was really surprised that the bakery was also slow when we were only two people in line. The lady ahead of me just ordered one loaf bread which she asked to be charge to her table while I was in line for just 3 crinkle cookies just as we were heading out. A 20 minutes wait is too long for 3 pieces of cookies! 

I don't usually nit-pick about this stuff but it's just a let down to see a place serving amazing food to not be given justice because of below standard service.




So overall, it is good to have you back Breakfast at Antonio's! Your food is still amazing! However because of your new acquaintances, I may have to think twice before waking up early just to see you..

Miks


Breakfast at Antonio's
Aguinaldo Highway
Barangay Bagong Tubig
Tagaytay City
Batangas
Philippines