August 7, 2012

Tomato Soup and Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich



because it's still raining..

Something I like about the cool, rainy weather while living in a tropical country is that it gives me the opportunity to try out new recipes that I won't normally dare make on a regular day. I'm sure you agree that its not fun slaving in front of a hot stove in such a humid country, let alone sip some hot soup for dinner.

Ergo, I made a big pot of tomato soup for dinner which I paired with Edam Grilled Cheese Sandwiches made special with pesto. Just made do with the things I found inside the fridge and pantry.


As for the tomato soup, all you need are...

4 tbsp butter
2 medium onions
2 cans whole-peeled tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp dried rosemary
1tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

I started things off by sautĂ©ing the butter and onions.
Once the onions we're translucent, I basically just placed all the other ingredients into the pot and allowed the soup simmer until all the flavors blended beautifully.
Just give the soup a whirl from an immersion blender and then serve.

Simple and easy, a perfect rainy-weather dinner that the family definitely enjoyed



Stay safe and dry everyone!

Miks