May 23, 2012

Korean Tea Ceremony

Getting into character...

I think for today's tour, our overall theme was historical Korean..
From vintage houses, we now moved on to vintage costumes and learning the art of traditional Korean tea ceremony!

As a big fan of the art of tea drinking may it be english or asian style, this experience was something I was really looking forward to! Not to mention getting into character as we got to wear traditional Korean Hanbok! As soon as we entered the dressing room filled with racks and racks of hanbok, I immediately chose the King's royal dress robes for I thought there was no better excuse 
to get to wear them but now!



Welcome tea before we got ready..






Time for a photo-op!






Tea time!






our tutor
we were so impressed by how graceful she was in making tea! 
(I'm sure she didn't even make a single drop of water on her tray..while I had several spillages haha)







Basically, making tea is as simple as:
1) Cleansing the bowls a tea pot
2) Brewing the tea
3) and then serving tea to your guests and then finally yourself

of course it go a whole lot more complicated when trying to do it while dressed in hanbok and trying to do it calmly and gracefully. Obviously I failed the graceful part because just as we were learning the proper way of sitting down and standing up, I already took a stumble! Luckily everyone was role-playing so no one laughed when the king stumbled!!






A Samul nori performance as we sipped our tea






an amazing and powerful voice she had!




An experience truly fit for a king!


Miks