May 9, 2012

Myeongdong Gyoja

My favorite place in Seoul!

Okay, maybe I have a lot of favorite places in Seoul..but Myeondong has to be at the top of my list!
This is my go-to stop in Seoul when it comes to shopping, trend spotting, and people watching!

But not only is Myeondong a great place to shop in, but they also have an amazing selection of restaurants that serve both traditional and modern-fusion korean dishes.


For this trip.. we opted to try Myeondong Gyoja
A popular place among locals as well as tourists for their handmade kalguksu noodles






Gotta love these built in utensil drawers!






Kalguksu with Mandu

Handmade knife-cut noodles wheat flour noodles served in a beefy broth garlic and scallions accompanied with Korean meat dumplings

I loved the warm and cozy feeling this dish gives! 
I am truly amazed though how this is a very popular dish for locals during summer..
I have come to learn that Koreans believe that eating hot dishes such as clear broth soups during the summer balances out inner body temperatures with the hot weather making you feel somewhat cooler (?!)
I was told that also means eating ice cream during winter 0.0






Bibimguksu

My favorite cold noodle dish!!
a thinner version of wheat flour noodles is served for this dish..
Served cold mixed with gochujang-based sauce making the dish mainly spicy but balanced out with julienned cucumbers on top!

I found this dish more refreshing to eat during the warm Spring weather we were experiencing during our stay haha!



Myeondong Gyoja now gave me even more reason as to why Myeondong is one of my favorite places!!

Miks


Myeondong Gyoja
Seoul-si Jung-gu Myeong-dong 2-ga 25-2
(right in front of the back entrance of Forever 21 in Myeongdong)