July 5, 2013

Gulabjamun

an interesting find from Costco


Since typical family bonding involves grocery shopping, in this case wandering around Costco.. My sister stumbled upon a frozen package of Gulabjamun.

A cheese-based dessert dumpling with Indian decent; my sister seemed so hyped about seeing this product after having tried Gulabjamun from an Indian buffet that my mom and I were immediately sold into trying this dessert.


Gulabjamun dumplings soaked in a incredibly/ unbearably sweet syrup with essence of rose water.






as per box instruction, we took a couple of dumplings and heated them up in the microwave.

Although the package said to include the syrup, we were a bit hesitant to do so since the syrup was just a bit too sweet and floral.






fresh out of the microwave

I must say that Gulabjamun reminds me very much of yema from back home. The subtle cheese flavor curdled into a coarse texture mimicking that of yema, mixed with a subtle caramel flavor which i think is due to the syrup which I learned is made of brown sugar.

A very interesting, and actually tasty dessert. But I must say you must approach this with caution since one is enough to knock your sugar levels out.



Miks